Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Status and Plans: A Note to my Family

The following is a sanitized version of an email I sent to my extended family today.  

It is sanitized, in that I have chosen not to use real person or place names in this blog.  I do this because I desire to be very candid, and I don't want to expose those close to me to potential embarrassment.  Thus, I try to maintain this thin veil of plausible deniability. 


I sent this email to members of my family, Grandma's children, who are strong supporters (Uncle Packard, Uncle Cord, Dad, and their sister... call her Auntie T-Bird).  These dear people do not read this (or any) blog.  That's OK.  However, the intellectual and emotional effort I put into this message is significant, and I'd like to share it more broadly.  Here goes:

"Here's an update on the t-bird, just to keep you all informed.

The engine and transmission are complete, fresh and shiny!  It runs and idles well, now that I fixed the vacuum leak.  I need fuel lines and a new fuel filter, and a few linkage parts, and it will be ready to put back into the car.  Of course, I will need to install an exhaust system and fuel tank before the engine will run in the car.  I have the fuel tank,  and I intend to purchase an inexpensive aluminized exhaust system.  I can install these myself.

The body and rolling chassis are at the auto body & paint shop.  All rust holes have been repaired, and the next step is having the cowl straightened so that the passenger door can be aligned.  I don't remember that door ever closing properly!  It will be good to have it fixed.  Uncle Packard is helping me find someone to strip the body and get it ready for paint.  I'm hoping to have this done, as well as painted in the shop.  I don't have a time table, but I'm expecting several months before the car is under paint.  This progress is only possible with Dad's financial help covering the body work and painting expenses! It feels great having Dad be an essential part of this project!  Thanks, Dad!

Uncle Packard has graciously offered to store the car for me in his lower garage for a month or so while the paint hardens.  My next purchase may need to be a good car cover!  I'm not sure how long I will want to keep the car in there.  While it will cost another $150 to have it flat-bed towed back home, it will probably be quite a few additional months before I can make it drivable.  I would like to be able to work on the car in the evenings, and the hour long round trip to Uncle Packard's garage makes that less likely.

I will need to do some re-assembly in the engine compartment before installing the engine, especially the brakes and steering.  I want to install a dual master cylinder, to make the brakes a little safer.  I've decided to keep the original drum brakes, and have new shoes and cylinders for them.  I still need new soft brake lines.  I have not decided if I want to go to the expense and trouble to replace all the fuel and brake hard lines.  Fixing the brakes and steering in Uncle Packard's garage is probably a good idea, as it makes moving the car much easier.

The wiring harness is in good shape.  I need to replace the headlight pigtails.  I will be installing a new alternator and converting the car to 12 volts.  This is a common, simple conversion, requiring a new 12 volt blower motor (which is missing anyway), head & tail lights, and a regulator for the 6 volt clock.  I won't be using the stock radio.

Having the engine in the car makes it much easier to compress the front springs, which is necessary in order to work on the front suspension.  I will need new bushings and tie rod ends.  The ball joints are probably fine... they have a very good reputation for durability, and the available replacement parts aren't as good as the originals.  I just purchased a 1957 steering box in rebuildable condition.  This "three tooth" box is significantly stronger than the original "two tooth" steering box, but looks almost identical and bolts right in.  I will drop this new box off with a rebuilder next time I visit Dad. New front springs are inexpensive, and a good investment.  I will probably get a heavier sway bar and new shocks, too.  The steering wheel is very ugly, but usable.  I will try repairing it with plastic putty and repainting it myself.

When the wheels come off for the suspension work, I will have them blasted and painted body color.  I don't like the original "pie plate" wheel covers, so I'm looking for a good set of the smaller "dog dish" hubcaps.  That way I can show off the color of the wheels.  I do expect the tires to be expensive... a set of wide whitewalls will cost about $1K, so I need to factor that into my budget.  I had considered getting a second set of wheels with "knockabout" tires, but thought better of it.  My garage space is just too limited.  I should invest in a spare, however.

I will need to make the seat usable in order to drive the car.  Once the engine is in, I will be highly motivated to make the car drivable, so I need to plan on this.  Interior "kits" are available at reasonable cost in the original factory colors... my intent is to keep the colors the same.  I will probably need to buy materials and talk to an upholsterer soon.  I also need a few parts to make the heater operational, which will be important on cool evenings!  The rest of the interior can wait... I need to repaint the lower dashboard, re-do the firewall and cabin insulation, install door panels, carpets, and trim.  I am missing the ash tray and lighter.

Of course, all the chrome is shot.  I know that re-plating the chrome can cost almost as much as paint, so my intent is to brass-wool and buff the rotten chrome on the bumpers and trim as much as I can, and start re-plating as funds become available.  The chrome on the windshield outer doglegs has rusted through, but replacements are very hard to find.  Advice on this would be appreciated.

The hard top needs to be painted, and is missing some latch hardware.  It is currently on the car for security purposes, and I'm hoping to have the body shop paint it along with the car.  I would like it painted white, rather than body color.  I recently purchased inexpensive rear window glass, but it turned out to be badly scratched.  It is serviceable, but I will eventually need to replace it.  I plan on installing a tonneau cover, and expect to use it often.  I've rigged a hoist for the hard top in my garage, and I expect the top to stay there most of the time.

I took delivery of this car in May 2011.  It is unlikely that it will be drivable in May 2012, but very possible that it will be drivable in May 2013.  It is even conceivable that it can make its first cruise night appearance late this summer!

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and generous support.  Restoring this car means more to me than you could know... it is redeeming a painful episode of my youth!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!