Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Radio Delete Complete

Nell has been running great, and driving her has been a great joy!    I drive her at least once a week, usually to my Saturday morning step study and sometimes to Friday morning breakfast with my recovery group.

Today I took the "last" step to finish the dash, installing a different bezel nut on the fog light switch and   re-routing power to the audio amplifiers.  While this wasn't difficult, it was harder than it sounds.  I used reproduction blower/wiper switch bezel nuts on the volume control and fog light switch, so they would match the rest of the dash.  Unfortunately, the volume control and fog light switch have different threads than these nuts, so I had to improvise by wrapping the threads with some copper foil I had lying around.

In any event, the dash switches, knobs, and bezels all match now.  Most people probably won't notice... but I will.  I want any modifications made to the car to look classy and finished.  In this case, I think I have succeeded.
What radio?  This looks dash looks stock!
Why is making the dash look good so important to me?  Well, I remember some of the projects my Dad did around the house.  "Looking good" was never important to him... I grew up around unfinished bookshelves, patched together furniture, and ad-hoc car repairs.  Dad could fix things, but he didn't see the value in aesthetics.  Looking good just wasn't worth the extra work.  Taken to it's logical conclusion, this attitude has had a strong negative impact on my own feeling of self worth.  Am I as ugly as this broken chair I am sitting in?

I resolve to break the chain of disfunction.  I don't want to tolerate shortcuts anymore.  I want to make things right... not necessarily perfect, but right.  I want to honor those I love... and the memory of those I love.  I also want to strive for consistency in my attitude and my actions.

I love living by the beach!
I have clearly been blessed.  I acknowledge that freely.  I have recently had time to reflect on this.  I don't know what is in store for me, but I will move forward with clear intention and integrity.

Quiet Riot.... "Fly On, Thunderbird Fly!"
Today wasn't dramatic, just a minor tweak.   Chrome guy called yesterday to say that the foglight bumper surround/spinners are ready (right now Nell is without fog lights), along with the stock exhaust donuts for the rear bumper guards.  I'm not sure I want to change out the oversize exhaust tips that Nell is wearing now, but I feel better having the stock parts if I ever want to.

I need to remember the story of Nell's restoration, and what it means to me.  I just want to enjoy and share the car...  Show and parade season starts up in another month or two.  I'm in a good place right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!