Sunday, May 22, 2011

Why Restoration is Important


As I look at this decrepit mass of rusted metal in my garage, I have to ask myself what it represents to me.  Certainly, many of my adolescent memories and dreams are wrapped up in it, and like many of it's parts, most are either rusted, misplaced or stolen, and some completely forgotten.  Am I like this car?

Do I also bear the obvious evidence of so many years of neglect?  Does God cringe when He seeks me, like my wife did when she first saw this car?  Or, does God see the elegant lines beneath the rust, and relish the possibilities for the future... For there ARE possibilities!  I see in this car opportunities for creative expression through paint and mechanical upgrades, and future satisfaction through careful repair and refurbishment.  I'm aware that there are many things it currently lacks, and that I will need to devote more time and resources than I currently comprehend to realize my hope for it's glory.

By this, I'm beginning to understand God's hope for my own glory.  The neglect has left layers of dirt and rust on me, both inside and out.  I suspect that the grinding and sanding will hurt, and significant parts of me will need to be disassembled before they can be restored.  Some of my parts are beyond practical repair, but I trust my owner to replace or even upgrade them.

And, it is my ongoing desire to please him, to his eventual delight!

1 comment:

  1. This car has both surface issues and deep down fundamental ones. Are you tempted to clean up the visible things and hide the hard ones. When you look back at your own life do you see times when you went for the $49.99 paint job instead of dealing with the rust?

    I guess that's the difference between a make-over and restoration. The difference between image and reality.

    Brother, I'm glad you're not looking at makeoverandbail, and I'm glad you've invited me along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!