Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Rust Hole in the Trunk

OK, I jacked up the t-bird yesterday and started a careful survey of the undercarriage.  The nameplate says it was originally delivered in Des Moines, but I know that it has been in California since the late 50's.  As one would expect of a "California car", there isn't much body rot.  There is a lot of surface rust, but I'm grateful that the doors and rocker panels seem sound.  From the outside, it looks very solid.

However, I did find one significant rust hole in the bottom of the trunk.  I suspect that water collected there whenever the car got wet, and eventually it rusted through.  This will have to be repaired... eventually.

Like the car, I believe that my spiritual frame is basically good, and if I don't look too closely or open up very much, people probably think I'm in decent shape.  However, I have recently been reminded of one of my own hidden character defects. Yes, there is some ugliness down there, some decay that, if left unattended, will eventually threaten my integrity.  I'd like to ignore it... because like the car, it will take time, energy, and yes, pain to repair.

While the car can wait, I'm compelled to fix this defect in me immediately.... but I've been in recovery long enough to know that my character is a long-term project, and that quick fixes and shoddy welds rarely hold up in the long run.  I also suspect that my own decay runs much deeper than a simple hole in the trunk, and will require a much greater commitment to repair.  I need to pace myself for the journey, restate my intention to live a Godly life, and cling to the hope that is within me.

5 comments:

  1. I am loving the link between restoration of the car and your life. I am eager to watch the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so like this Rick, we are all in need of restoration! Most of us rusty and unlovely in the eyes of the world yet completely and entirely loved by God, made beautiful by His redeeming grace and the work of His son Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I thought we we suppose to be Holy. No wait, is that wholly His. Oh, you're talking about being holey.

    Yea, I guess it's not cool being holey. I'm still dealing with the holes that life has left in me, and with God's help I'm finding ways to make some of those holes smaller and less painful.

    I'm glad to be on the journey with you.

    Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick, once you get it to a point that it runs and drives bring it up to Mission Viejo and we can take care of that hole in the trunk on a Saturday. :) Love the connection of restoring the Tbird with our own need for restoration found in Christ. It is incredible how amazing our God is that he can use things like restoring a car to remind us of His love for us. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the offer, Chris - that's very generous of you! I love what you are doing with your '57! I have the car at a body shop, and they just finished the trunk. Next step is the passenger door, which will require removing the windshield.... I'll blog about this.

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!