Friday, June 3, 2011

First things First

The task of restoration seems overwhelming.  Every time I look at the car I see another hundred things I need to fix.  I'm already pretty stressed; it seems like lots of people are depending on me... for guidance at work, for encouragement at home, for support and leadership in church and recovery, and dealing with aging and cancer issues in the family.  How can I possibly have time for this car?  Am I kidding myself?

You know, I just realized that I've felt this way before.  It happened when I was at my wit's end during my addiction, and realized that I couldn't fix myself... I was completely overwhelmed.  And... I learned that being overwhelmed is NOT an excuse to do nothing.  My childhood was full of despair and neglect, my home of origin unsafe and unsanitary.  I felt that my parents had simply given up, that life was seemingly just too hard.  I'd try to make things better, but what's the point?

But, I'm no longer a sad, lonely child, and I've learned a powerful fact... If I trust God and then do SOMETHING, If I take a step toward what I know is right, even if it is only a tiny step, then God meets me and lifts me up!

So, what am I to do?  Rather that yield to discouragement, I will choose to take a step, any step, that advances me toward my hope.  What did I do this week?  I have decided that this engine will run, eventually, and I decided to take a step toward that future reality.  Plus, I got a really good deal on Amazon:

A small step.   Seemingly trivial.  But hopeful, trusting.  Perhaps that is enough.

1 comment:

  1. They say that every journey begins with a single step.

    I would add to that add a collalary:

    A step taken in the right direction make the journey one step shorter.

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!