Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stocker or Hot Rod: Who do I want to be?

The T-Bird is missing quite a few parts. That is both sad, and empowering... while it will take effort and money to replace the parts, it opens up the possibility of improving or upgrading the car. I need to decide if I want the car to be stock:
Or if I would prefer to make some "subtle" improvements:

Compared to a modern car, a stock 1955 T-Bird has marginal brakes (single circuit drums), unreliable 6 volt electrics, a sluggish engine (load-o-matic carburetor and distributor), and marginal handling (vague steering, soft suspension, bias ply tires).  Upgrades are available to address each of these issues, at a cost equal to or less than stock parts.  If I was intending to compete in classic car shows, these upgrades would be unacceptable, and would detract from the value of the car.  If I am intending to drive this car regularly, or allow other people to drive it, the increased safety and reliability they provide make these upgrades essential.

So, do I want this car to be pretty, or do I want it to be useful?  Is it possible to make the car more reliable, drivable and safe without diminishing it's essential character? What statement does this choice make about me?

I know that God has promised to make me new (2 Cor 5-17), and to restore me into relationship with him.  I earnestly seek this.  It's not clear what form restoration will take.  Will it be as if the ugliness and neglect in my life never happened, and I become a pristine "stocker", a museum piece?  While that can bring joy, I rather see myself as being restored in a way that provides more utility, perhaps making something of my life that is compelling to a broader audience, yet still uniquely me.  Perhaps God wants to make me his hot rod!

I'll address the implications of this in later posts, but I have to wonder if God likes flame paint jobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!