Saturday, November 12, 2011

What is True Color, Anyway?

Blue, Peacock, Turquoise, Teal, Green.  Ok, so I don't really have much color sense.  It seems that I have a lot to learn about color.

In a previous post, I was obsessing about color. I still am. It costs a lot to paint a car well, and since a specialty car is going to be pampered, that paint decision is going to linger for a very long time. I previously said that I don't like the original color of this car: Thunderbird Blue (called Sky Haze Green on any other '55 Ford model, and that's a good description). It's turquoise, and a rather light shade at that. I also said that I really preferred 1956 Peacock Blue.  I first saw this color in a coffee table book on Thunderbirds. I liked the color so much that I bought the book (don't be too impressed - it was on the discount rack at Half Price Books).  Here is the picture that caught my eye, a truely gorgeous color.  The scan doesn't do justice to the depth of the blue color in print, which is a little darker with maybe just a hint of green.  As mentioned before, regular computer monitors may not be able to reproduce this color.
Even though I love that color, I have not seen anything close to it anywhere else represented as authentic peacock blue, either in person or on the internet. I suspect that the owner of the t-bird in this picture painted it this delightful color and simply called it peacock blue.

The aftermarket color chips I've seen render Ford Peacock Blue as a kind of blue-grey, much less intense than this photo. Many internet photos of '56 t-birds render it as a lighter blue, with a little green. Some photos render it as a purer, darker blue, closer to the grabber blue I discussed previously. Google "Thunderbird Peacock Blue" images and you will see what I mean.

So, what's the authentic color? Is there one? The variances I see in "Ford Peacock Blue" are much more than digitization or display color errors.  As I've said before, I'm not a stickler for authenticity... but now I'm curious, and I want to get to the bottom of this!

Once again, I decided to paint a model. I purchased another die cast '55 t-bird model off eBay (won it for $.99, but paid $12 shipping).   I ordered 4 ounces of 1956 Ford Peacock Blue from AutomotiveTouchup.com, as they claim to closely match any color. This is probably what my local paint shop would mix for me. I took the model apart and painted it. Here's how it turned out:
In sunlight

In shade

Note how lighting conditions make a profound difference in how this color is represented in photographs.  No, I didn't take the time to reset the white balance for each shot,  but this does tend to explain why it's difficult to characterize this color.

Wiktionary defines of Peacock Blue as "A brilliant, dark blue-green colour". The free dictionary defines it as "A moderate to dark or strong greenish blue." Not turquoise, which is lighter and greener (the seat, floor, and trim of the model is turquoise). Not Teal, which is darker and much greener. Peacock is bluer and a little darker than turquoise, but it's not pure blue. Not even close.  Clearly not the Ford Grabber Blue of my previous model.  And by the way, that color is very close to the 2010 Ford color.  Here's a pic of the grabber model on the trunk lid of a new Mustang.  It is a very intense blue in person, no green in it whatsoever.

 Here are both models under different lighting conditions.
 Indoor incandescent lighting

 Direct Sunlight

Once again, you can see how the color changes.  I'm starting to like this rendition of Ford Peacock Blue.  It has been a hunt, but I've learned something.  I'm still learning.  The body guy still hasn't gotten back to me with an estimate, but I have been reassured that he's not closing the shop.  We'll see.  In any event, I would pick this Peacock Blue color if I had to choose tomorrow.  I'll ask Dad what he thinks over Thanksgiving.

Here are some detail pics of the new model, just for fun.  I did the dash, upholstery and trim in '55 colors, just like the other model.  I spent way too much time on this!


I wish my full size t-bird had a supercharger like this one!

I primed the block today, and I expect to paint it this week.  I'm taking vacation over Thanksgiving week.  The boys are flying home from college.  A week from Monday Mr. Mechanic will come over and we will start putting the engine together.  There is a good chance that Dad will be here too, an all-guy bonding experience... prior to the memorial for my mother-in-law a week from Tuesday.

I'm hopeful that this will be a time of restoring hearts, as well as an old car.  Of experiencing some of the more subtle, and bluer hues of life.  And that's OK.  There is something profound about grieving together.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick,
    There is a gentleman in my OC club named Ed Zaleski that has a peacock blue '56 that is just gorgeous. I'm sure I could arrange a meeting if you'd like to take a look at the color in person. It is much more blue than turquoise. I'm a big fan...Ed's car is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Chris, I'd love to see it! I just purchased 2 gallons of single stage acrylic urethane from TCP Global in Miramar. They had a spray-out card of their formula for peacock blue that was absolutely stunning. I'll post a pic in the blog.

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!