Sunday, November 6, 2011

Engine Block Angioplasty

The little 'bird's heart needed some minor surgery.  Y-blocks are unjustly infamous for starving the the rocker arms of oil.  The original "side oiler" design was actually very good, and used in later Ford racing engines.  The heavy non-detergent engine oils available in the '50's, however, tended to coke up in the narrow passages, especially going from the camshaft center journal up through the block and heads to the rocker arms.  This isn't a problem when using modern oils.  Just the same, every website or article I've seen on y-block rebuilding mentions that it is essential to remove all 8 oil gallery plugs from the block, and then carefully clean out every oil passage to remove the gunk that has inevitably collected there.

Well, the machine shop had some trouble removing the plugs, stripping out the hex socket in about half of them and leaving them.  Kind of unprofessional, in my way of thinking.  I resorted to using a pipe-nipple-extractor, kind of an ez-out on steriods, in conjunction with an air impact wrench.

To reach the last two on the rear of the block, I had to take the engine off the stand.

After more work with a drill, nipple-remover and impact wrench, I got these out as well
And then used my boy's rifle cleaning kit to carefully clean out every oil gallery and passage


There is still some gunk in the passage from the center cam journal up to the rockers, but it is very hard to get out since the cam bearings are already installed.  I'll work with Mr Mechanic to figure a way to flush it out.  I've blown it out with air, but there is more crud left than I like.

It's been raining this weekend.  Once the weather clears, I will prime and paint the block to match the other engine parts I've already painted. 
That's authentic "Ford Red" engine enamel, which is a shade different than the Chevy or Chrysler red.  Not that I'm a stickler for authenticity, but I had to paint the engine anyway, so why not get the color right?  I'm using a small detail spray gun as opposed to a rattle can.  It's not really clear to me that this is a significant improvement, but I'm still working on my spray gun technique.

The wife and I spent the weekend at a church retreat.  The respite was important for us.  The days tend to drag on, even though I'm busy at work and the t-bird provides a fun diversion.

I'm hoping to have all the engine parts ready for assembly over Thanksgiving break, when both my boys will be home from college.  For me, at least, making something come together should be good therapy.  I've seen too much falling apart recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!