Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spindles

My goal today was to fit the front suspension.  Ideally, I wanted to also install the steering gear.  On a lark yesterday, I decided to repaint the rebuilt steering box, but it wasn't dry in time to install in the car.   I did manage to prime and paint the rest of the steering parts.  Here's what they looked like when #1 son and I took them out of the car:
Filthy!  Grime, paint dust, rust, old grease... ugh.
Here are the painted parts laid out on the workbench
At least they are clean.  And black.

Some assembly required

I couldn't install the steering parts without the steering box, but I did assemble and lube them.
My major achievement today was installing the A-arms and ball joints, and then test fitting the new drop spindles.  The lower A-arms had to be compressed a little in order to fit.  I never did this before, but I had a plan:
That heavy duty tie down strap has proven to be very useful!

Right side in place.  The hammer is handy too.

Both lower A-arms in.
It was then time to install the ball joints, and the upper A-arms.  The upper arms are shimmed to adjust camber and caster.  When I disassembled the suspension over spring break with #1 son, I used tuna cans to keep track of which sets of shims went under which bolt.

half done, right side

done, right side.  Left side was just as easy.
Next, I tried fitting the new disk brake spindles from drop'n'stop.  No springs, just a test fit.

Right spindle in place, but something doesn't quite fit...

Putting a nut on here would not tighten the spindle!  Did I screw up somewhere?

OK, I actually stopped and read the directions.  The spacer was included in the kit.

The spindle looks pretty good! 
Next time, I will assemble the vent ducting in the fenderwell,  install the front rotor & hub, mount a tire, then slowly jack up the suspension and check for any possible rubbing.  These spindles lower the front of the car about 1.5", which puts the tire that much closer to the vent ducts in the fender.  I may have to change or modify the lower A-arm bumper stops to keep the tires from rubbing over big bumps.  Either that, or get smaller tires... hence the reason that Tire Guy set me up with loaner blackwalls.

Personally, I'd prefer using full stock-size tires... because I can get them with 3-inch wide whitewalls!  Woo hoo!

I spent some time at a hotrod show today (that's two car shows in one weekend!).  Lots of early t-birds there.  Here's a 57 in Peacock Blue.  This is NOT stock for 57, but it shows how good the color looks on a baby bird!  I'm clearly not alone in loving this color!
This is by far my favorite baby-bird color!  Seeing this '57, I feel affirmed choosing this color for Grandma's car.
And here's a 55 in Starmist blue.  This is a '57 color, not originally available in '55... but the car is absolutely beautiful, with a matching custom leather interior.
Beautiful blue '55
Clearly, other folks have had fun with non-stock or non-original colors on their little birds, and their obvious care and attention to detail has resulted in cars of considerable beauty and character.  I'm feeling like I may be able to do the same thing, while honoring my Grandma and allowing God to redeem my past pain associated with this car.

I'm tired this evening, but feeling good about my choices, and my relationships.  I'm feeling blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!