Saturday, April 21, 2012

When Faced with Reality, Take Satisfaction in Small Steps

I really want big, dramatic steps with this car.  My weekends have become precious, and I want to get some feeling of accomplishment each day I devote to working on the car.  At least for now, progress depends on my efforts alone, and I'm feeling the weight of that responsibility... if responsibility is the right word.  I want to take Dad for a ride in it this year, and was hoping to do it late this summer.   Typical of my engineering mentality, I did a critical path analysis of what it will take to get the car drivable.  I no longer think it's possible by the end of the summer... I may not even have the car painted by then.

I spent much of yesterday working on the car, but I don't have much to show for it.  Mostly, I cleaned and refurbished steering components.  I had wanted to install the front suspension, but got caught up cleaning the ball joints and flushing them with grease.

After soaking in lacquer thinner and a good scrubbing, then time with the wire brush wheel.

After flushing with grease... lots of grease... and installing the washers
 I spent about 4 hours using a wire brush wheel on a bench grinder, getting the rust and debris off various steering parts, bolts, nuts, brackets, etc.  It didn't seem too productive, but it was necessary.

I have used the term "wire brushing" to mean removing the non-essential and exposing the valuable core... as in "that proposal needs a good wire brushing".  I know that my own heart occasionally needs a wire brushing, too.  The rust on these parts needed to be scoured off before they could be painted and reassembled.

Maybe my disappointment in my own progress is evidence of an attitude that needs wire brushing, cleaning, scouring.  The core, the goodness of my own heart needs to be revealed before I can invest it fully in this project, and in those I love.  For example, #2 son called today and said that he is having a very good weekend, and that things are going well for him at military school... for a change!  I am grateful for his recent success, and the encouragement he takes from that!  He's been on my heart a lot lately.

Here's a little bit of encouragement I got yesterday myself.  Tire guy had the temporary tires mounted to the rims, and I brought them to the car for the first time.  The color match on the powder coat isn't perfect, but it is very close.
Today, I primed and painted steering parts.  I also went to visit Uncle Packard, Uncle Cord, and Mr. Mechanic at a local car show... it is now officially car show season!  Tomorrow, I will visit another car show with a friend after church, and maybe start assembling the suspension on the t-bird.  If not, I will still be satisfied.  I've decided that satisfaction is actually a matter of intention and attitude, rather than accomplishment

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!