Sunday, July 21, 2013

Automotive Ambassador



The evening after my last post (8 July), my wife and I drove "Nell" to church.  There I gave a presentation about Christian Recovery to a group of Stephen Ministers.  My wife and I have been Stephen Ministers for over a decade.  It took 6 months of training before we were each commissioned, and we served actively as caregivers for 2 years.  We have each had a variety of care assignments, both formal and informal, and we have continued to be active in training new groups of Stephen Ministers.  Needless to say, we are both committed to active Christian one-on-one care giving.

It was a blessing to give my testimony and discuss the reality of addiction with a group of genuinely caring, supportive individuals.  After telling my story, much of which I have related in this blog, I was able to clearly describe the importance of walking alongside someone who is working through the first three steps of recovery.  I was able to talk about recovery in terms of faith: Redemption, Transformation, and Sanctification.  I was able to explain why, at least for me, recovery is a life-long process that requires a daily statement of intention.  I was able to explain why my relationship with God is a key part of being able to make this daily commitment.

I was also able to talk about car restoration as an analog to recovery, and to describe the particular importance I placed on the old hunk of blue painted metal and chrome that was sitting just outside the chapel where I was speaking.  In the midst of difficult decisions or disappointments, sometimes I just needed someone to calmly listen, to help me explore and understand my own thinking, and to facilitate my own action, change, or acceptance.

Don't get me wrong... there are times when addiction is brutal, and self-exploration isn't even possible.  That's when boundaries are important, and invasive treatment may be required.  But after sobriety comes the difficult decision... who do I want to be?  Who do I want to trust?  That's the pivotal point where a little encouragement by a non-anxious presence can do the most good.  That's when the real commitment to recovery begins.

Stephen Ministry is not a substitute for formal 12-step programs.  A Stephen Minister is not a "Sponsor", but just someone to come alongside to talk and pray.  I need my recovery meetings and my 12-step.  But I also need my broader community of faith, and the variety of one-on-one relationships God puts in my life.

My #1 Son and I are planning on driving Nell to a CTCI regional meet in a few weeks.  It will be a long trip, but I'm really looking forward to it.  I thought the car was ready, but this morning I noticed a pinhole leak in the radiator after I drove my wife to get coffee!  Bummer.  I'm hoping that I can get this repaired next weekend.

I also got a new camera, so I can resume documenting Nell's progress and experiences in this blog.  Hopefully next week I can post a story about installing the new radiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!