Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Another 23₵, more shrapnel in the oil pan!

Well, I replaced the Mallory Unilite distributor with the re-curved '57 Ford distributor.  Nell is running well, except for the muffler noise.  I'll take her to the muffler shop tomorrow.  My son even helped me do the distributor swap today.  I'd be feeling very good about this, if it weren't for a rather disturbing discovery about the Mallory distributor...
Yes, the rolled pin broke off... again!  I tapped it out with a drift for a better look.
About a third of the pin broke off, and is now somewhere in the engine.  I'm hoping that its in the bottom of the oil pan, in pieces large enough that they won't make it through the oil pickup screen.  I gotta get me one of those magnetic drain plugs!

I replaced the pin (again), and I'm keeping the Mallory as a backup distributor.  Let's hope that I don't have to use it.

Here's a couple of cellphone "victory shots" of the Ford distributor installed.

The resistor isn't hooked up... the Pertronix unit doesn't need it.  I kept it on the engine in just in case the Pertronix unit fails and I have to install the points and condenser.

2 comments:

  1. Even without a magnetic oil pan bolt you can use a strong magnet, wrap it in a rag and slide/guide the magnet from the outside of the pan towards the drain hole. That will pick up any chunks sitting on the bottom of the engine. I would recommend doing this before you remove the drain plug so the oil can lubricate the shrapnel towards the drain hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks, Chris!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!