Friday, September 16, 2011

Blessed with a Vision

Yesterday, I saw a couple driving a beautiful light blue 1956 t-bird with the top down... the man in his cap, the woman in her scarf.  They were clearly enjoying themselves, and the drive, and each other's company.  I appreciated the fleeting scene as they went by, then it struck me.  That's what I want!  I really want that!  And I started to picture myself, with my sweetheart, driving my own legacy through the beauty of God's presence.  
Magnificent!

There is something inherently wholesome, inherently right about that picture.  I need to take care of my "legacy", of the engine and the paint and the upholstery... but that's not the focus of the picture.  I should care about where and how I am driving, but that isn't the focus either.  It is a vision of being.  Being satisfied.  Being together.  Being complete.  Being at peace.  Paying attention to what is important, and choosing to live accordingly.  Experiencing joy.

I want that desperately!  It is my hope, in the deepest sense of the word.  This car and it's restoration has a role to play in my own redemption.  It is teaching me something about myself, about restoring and valuing my past, about a need for living intentionally, and about my relationship to my Creator. Lord, help me to pay attention, and give me the courage, determination, and strength to do devote myself to the work you have set before me.

"He has also set eternity in the hearts of Men, yet they cannot fathom what God has done..."  Ecc 3:11b (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!