Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Blueprinting and Balancing

I got the motor back from the machine shop today.  In pieces. Here are a few of them (notice that the block is upside down on the engine stand).

The heads look great to me!  After milling, the combustion chambers are between 66 and 67cc's, which, along with the squared and decked block, should yield around 9:1 compression ratio, about optimal for running on 87 octane gasoline.
This "blueprinting" of the engine brings the performance up to better than the original factory specifications... literally the best that it can be.  With the new cam, '57 intake & carburetor, and Mallory distributor, I expect the motor will be capable of over 240 horsepower.   The pistons and crankshaft have been balanced, which should result in a very smooth running car.  I am pleased with this.

I'm glad to have the machining done, but I still have a lot to do.  My next challenge is repainting the outside engine parts, and replacing a few of them... water pump, fuel pump, alternator...  This will take some time, but I'm grateful for the progress that has been made.  The t-bird's heart is gradually transforming, its physical state aligning more closely with my intention for it.  It is not yet ready for assembly.  I hesitate to place a date on assembling the motor, but it would be delightful to hear it running before the end of the year.  Especially if I can share that event with my boys!

The condition of my own heart mirrors the t-bird.  Both personally and professionally, I see my life being taken apart.  I'm on the brink of another career transition.  An elderly parent is on the threshold of mortality.  My children are leaving me to strike out on their own.  My motor isn't broken, per say, but it is being overhauled.  It has been dismantled.  To be "the best that it can be", it needs to be blueprinted and balanced.  I need to be willing to let my holy mechanic do his great work in me.  But, I get discouraged.  I get impatient.

I learned something important from my earthly Mr. Mechanic the other day.  He is a very patient man.  He told me that he has had many friends that liked to think of themselves as mechanics, but they just didn't have the temperament.  They got frustrated when things don't go the way they expected, when things don't quite fit.  In their frustration, they are more likely to force things... and break them.  He told me of one friend he found shouting like a maniac and jumping up and down on the roof of his car!  Then, instead of just a broken fuel pump or brake line, he also had a huge dent in the roof.  That guy should never try to be a mechanic.  He should let someone else fix his car.  And do his taxes.  Mr. Mechanic didn't call it this, but he was clearly talking about serenity.

Serenity. That's what I want right now.  That's what I need.  It will take time... well, OK.  Lord, I can submit to your intention, and your timing.

Balanced. Smooth.  The best that I can be.  Lord, please make it so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!