Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bought the Paint!

Last Thursday, I purchased the paint for the t-bird.  The shop had a spray-out card of their specific formula for Peacock Blue (a.k.a. Tropical Turquoise).  Here's my pathetic phone-cam pic of the card next to the model:
The actual color is much deeper and richer than my camera and your display can render, but you can tell that it is slightly darker and greener than the touch-up paint I used on the model.  Both are technically PPG 11415, but they are clearly different.  I like the card better.

At body guy's recommendation, I got 2 gallons of single stage Acrylic Urethane.  Base/Clearcoat would have offered a richer color due to the optical qualities of the clearcoat, but it is more expensive and harder to maintain.  I figured that a well-polished single stage paint is more in keeping with the character of the car.

I delivered the paint to the body shop yesterday.  I was in a hurry, and forgot to take pictures, but the shop has been busy.  They fixed the holes in the trunk, filled the holes in the fenders (except for the y-block emblem), and are getting ready to realign the doors.  The passenger door hasn't closed correctly in over 40 years.  They will need to bend the cowl to make the door fit right.  To do that they need to take the windshield out, or risk cracking it.  I told them to take it out!

This is an exciting time!  I still don't know if body guy is willing to paint the entire car, or just the engine compartment.  I want this to happen soon, so that Dad can experience this car before he dies, but I need to relax and let go of that anxiety.  I need to learn how to make "progress" without obsessing, and to be thankful instead of anxious.  To seek serenity first, and to examine my motives.  This has always been a challenge for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!