Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Bird has a Pulse!

Today I experienced a major milestone!  The last time this engine ran was in the summer of 1972, just before I pulled it out of the car in High School Auto Shop.  I was 14.  Today, I'm nearly 54.

I started the day wiring up the electric fuel pump and ignition, and hooking up the gas lines.
With the fuel pump working, I flushed the line to the carburetor, and found that the old glass-bowl fuel filter/regulator was kaput.  Mr. Mechanic and I bypassed it with a piece of 3/8" fuel hose.  I will eventually buy a new glass-bowl fuel filter to replace it.

Today, the engine started again, and ran under its own power.  Here's the very first start... note the smoke and the papers blowing around!







And here we are warming up the engine.  #1 son took this video and edited it directly on his iPhone.







There is a vacuum leak between the carb spacer and the intake manifold.  That's why the engine won't settle down to a slow idle.  After we shut it off, there seemed to be a lot of gasoline on the outside of the carburetor, and I may need to rebuild it.  These are all minor things.  Today, I feel truly blessed.  I have heard the heartbeat of a dream, a promise of restoration.  My family was here to share the moment with me.  I am content!

1 comment:

  1. What a milestone! Congrats...I am very jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!