Friday, December 23, 2011

The Right Tool, The Right Attitude


Several weeks ago, I realized that the water temperature sender adapter ring (at the rear of the left cylinder head) had too small of a hole for my 1955 sensor.  Apparantly, 1957 and later y-blocks use 1/2" NPT for their temperature sensors, rather than the 3/8" NPT of the earlier engines.  It makes sense that my '58 '113 heads have the smaller adapter.  Wish I had figured that out before I installed the heads on the engine!  What to do? Maybe I can make a tool to pull the adapter out?  I tried adapting a slide hammer, to no avail.  Somehow, this little wrinkle in the progress on the engine really bothered me!  I started feeling pretty stupid, and kind of down on myself.  I guess I'm pretty vulnerable this holiday season.


Luckily, I found out that the t-bird parts houses sell a water temperature adapter removal tool:
The tool is composed of the 4 parts on the left.  The red ring is the '58 sensor adapter, and the silver one next to it is the correct '55-'56 adapter.
This tool does a fine job of pulling the adapter ring out of the head.    Continuing proof that the right tool for the job saves time, money, and considerable frustration.  Why was I upset about this again?  Oh, yeah, I've got some emotional issues to deal with.  It's been a rough year, so perhaps I should cut myself some slack.
The big "socket" thing is the shroud part of the tool.  The bolt is inside, threaded into the adapter ring.  Turning the nut on the top easily pulls out the temperature sender adapter ring.
I had to remove the intake manifold in order to do this.  Good think I hadn't cemented the gaskets yet.  With the smaller adapter ring out, it was time to hammer in the right one, which I got from the same t-bird supply house.
I used the pliers to hold an old ring over the new one, to keep it from getting hammer marks.
I coated the ring and the hole with gasket cement as an extra precaution against leaks.  It cleaned up nicely with some WD40.

 I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.  I'm not happy with how easy it is to scratch the engine paint, however.

Two days ago, I installed a rebuilt fuel pump.  Not very exciting, but I'll still count it as progress.





Yesterday, I installed the starter motor.  I figured I'd try turning the engine with it, just to see if it worked.  Well, it didn't.  Bummer.  Deep sigh.  Well, electrical things I can handle, and starter motors are about as simple as they come.  Today, I removed the starter motor, cleaned the commutator with alcohol, wire brushed the connectors, and got it to spin on the bench.  That was encouraging!

So I re-installed it in the engine, hooked up battery and a starter solenoid, and made sure all the connections were tight
Here's a video of what happened next!



I wasn't trying to start the motor, just see if the starter would turn it.  It didn't have spark plugs or fuel.  But, having it turn over like that is extremely satisfying!  In spite of my insecurities, my continuing holiday funk, the stress and distress of dealing with death and uncertainty,
in spite of all that...

Something good is happening.   And I am a part of it.




1 comment:

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!