Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dogleg Redemption

Remember the windshield doglegs?  These go on the outside of the windshield, next to the door.  They are supposed to be chrome... and, um, shiny.  Here's what they looked like when I took them off the car:



Pretty pathetic, huh?  I was convinced that these were unrecoverable.  At Uncle Packard's suggestion, I got out the dremel and ground off the rust.  Here's what remained of the left side dogleg:
Those aren't just pits, they are HOLES!  I took these to Chrome Guy with Uncle Cord.  Chrome Guy said "toss 'em. Be ready to spend $500 on replacement parts".  Uncle Cord didn't agree... he stared at them, and thought for a while, and said "I think I can save these".  Chrome Guy kind of rolls his eyes, then winks at me and says "your uncle needs a project.  If anyone can save these, he can!"

I didn't hold out much hope.  These are fairly rare parts, and good ones fetch a fortune on eBay.  I'm thinking that I'm stuck with these ugly things... right on the windshield, there in plain sight for everyone to see.  Regardless of the paint, with these installed, the car will look ugly.

Uncle Cord had Chrome Guy strip the doglegs, then took them to his welder friend.  $40 later, the holes were patched, and they went back to chrome guy.  3 layers of copper, beaucoup sanding, then nickel, then chrome... here's how the left one (the worst) turned out:


Closeup of the back side, showing the fine welding filling the holes
  
I would not have believed it!  Half the price of eBay, even if I could find a set, and absolutely gorgeous!  Uncle Cord had the insight, the drive, and yes, the faith that I lacked.  And through him I have been blessed.

I have also chromed the door window pillars, the bumper guards, and the bumpers.  Chrome Guy has earned my money, and my respect... but Uncle Cord has earned my love.

Uncle Cord is a source of enduring optimism, and he has been spending a lot of time with my Dad.  This is not particularly pleasant for him, but it is working wonders for Dad.  He is keeping Dad's spirits up, and keeping him moving through his chemotherapy and iron infusions.  He is also keeping Dad working on cleaning up his cluttered apartment, and taking care of himself.  I am more than grateful... I am truly blessed!

If these ugly doglegs can be redeemed through the vision and tenacity of one optimistic, tenacious man... then just think of the possibilities God has in store for me!

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty impressive work on the doglegs. Who is your chrome guy? His work looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verne's Chrome Plating in Gardena. Ron Verne is a great guy, and does top notch work!
    http://www.verneschromeplating.com/

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!