Sunday, March 25, 2012

Separation

I wanted to take the front suspension apart this weekend.  I had Friday off, so #1 son and I drove to Uncle Packard's to start dis-assembly.  I spent a great day with my son, but we couldn't separate the ball joints.

Here's what we started with on the right side front...
Getting the shocks out was easy...
Quick trip to Harbor Freight to buy a "pickle fork" to separate the tie rod ends...
Those springs store a lot of energy... best to be safe.  That strap is pretty strong! 
The spring compressor is necessary in order to get the spring out without damaging something.
Now, to release the lower arm...
The shop manual said that I needed a special tool to disassemble the suspension, but I'd read on a y-block forum that I should carefully loosen the two bolts holding the lower ball joint to the lower A-arm, and then I could remove the spring.  That sounded much easier.

After several hours, we found out that it was just wishful thinking!  The ball joint flange fits into a channel in the A-arm, and the bolts go clear through.  I couldn't remove them, because the radius arm was in the way.  I couldn't remove the radius arm without removing the ball joint... catch 22!  OK, another idea was to separate the lower balljoint.  Just take the nut off the top of the lower ball joint, insert a slightly larger "pickle fork on the air hammer... and.... and... nuthin!
We were able to remove some parts, but not as many as I had hoped.  Just the same, we were both glad to have spent time together.  Here is the fruit of our labor on Friday...

As my Dad used to say, "when all else fails, follow directions".  What did the shop manual say?  Take a look:
I thought about this Friday night, and on Saturday morning, I had an inspiration.  I could easily make a tool like that from parts at my local industrial hardware store!  I picked up the parts on the way back to Uncle Packard's.
5 minutes after applying this tool, with a loud "bang"...  viola!
Here's what it looked like after removing the strap.  Note the spring compressor is still in the spring.
After that, the other side was easy.
Spindles out
Spindles (with brakes) and springs
Lower A-arms removed
The ball joints are held in with 3 bolts, not two!
The ball joints are at the bottom of the picture... Uppers are smaller than lowers.
I suspect that I can re-use the ball joints... they are substantially over-sized for a car this light, and the Chinese replacement parts have a bad reputation.  I'll have Mr. Mechanic look them over, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use them as is.

My son wasn't able to help me on Saturday, but Uncle Packard was in the garage working on his '36 convertible sedan.

I had the joy of helping Uncle put the hood back on the car.  Kind of scary, but very rewarding.  The car looks more complete with the hood on!  Plus, I don't have to worry about inadvertently stepping on the hood while I'm working on the t-bird!

Uncle and I had some deep conversations as we worked, and over a light lunch together.  He is a very calm, non-anxious presence, and he is good at instilling confidence.  We talked about Dad's disease, his recent weight loss, and his personality traits... both endearing and annoying.  We talked about growing up during the war, about being in the military, about personal liberty and politics.  We talked about ways to encourage my #2 son, who has faced some significant disappointments recently.  Once again, I'm reminded that Uncle Packard is a man who really cares about me.  He's a blessing, a surrogate father, at a time when I really need one!

What did I learn during the "lesson of the stubborn ball joints"?
- My attachments can be pretty darn strong. 
- Separating myself from my attachments can seem very difficult, if not impossible.
- Seeking the easy path is probably not going to work, and may lead to frustration.
- Informal folklore about self-improvement is likely to be wrong... sometimes dead wrong!
- There is a book that can help me understand how to do it... written by someone very wise.
- Success may involve changing my thinking, becoming just a little more humble, and submitting to the authority that wrote the book.
- I have company along the way, and that can be very, very encouraging!

I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!