Saturday, March 3, 2012

Closer to Final Colors

The new seat cover arrived this week.  It's blue on blue, medium (Dresden) blue surrounding light (Starmist) blue center panels.  I discussed my color options in a previous post, and I figured that this is the best color option available for '57 style upholstery... short of buying an all-white cover and dying it myself, or paying much more for a custom upholstery job. I've been eager to see if this color combination will work with my choice of body color, especially leaving the dash and garnish rails the stock '55 deep blue-green color.  Here's what it looks like.  Recognize that the color of the model is actually lighter than the real peacock blue color that is going on the car.  The two vinyl samples are the stock '55 interior colors.
Indoors, near a window, using a flash. The turquoise of the original '55 seats/armrests definitely doesn't belong!
Outdoors, in shade, natural light.  The turquoise still clashes, but the body, seat cover, and green seem to compliment each other.
Here's an updated Kuler panel, adjusted for these colors.  I took turquoise off the color chart.
I've annotated my tentative choice of colors for various areas of the cockpit. 
The steering wheel will either Dresden Blue, like the seat edges and armrests, or deep blue-green like the dash.  Uncle Cord is waiting for my decision so he can paint the steering wheel.  I'm still a little concerned that the Dresden Blue won't go well with the Peacock body.  The blue-green dash and garnish will separate them, but I won't commit to upholstering the seat until I get the car back from the paint shop.  The body won't be painted, but the engine compartment will be.  I also asked Paint Guy to paint the gas filler door, which will be a convenient piece to check colors.

The exhaust system also arrived this week, along with some "dog dish" hubcaps.  While I have a few more items to pick up in order to re-install the engine, I think I'm almost ready to get the car back.

I've been wondering where God is taking me on this journey.  I continue to meet really interesting, supportive, and friendly people as a result of this endeavor.  The membership chair of the local T-bird club kind of took me under his arm at the last club meeting.   Uncle Packard's gardener and house sitter each were very enthused about the project, and had their own stories to relate about my family.  Because I expect to drive the car fairly soon, I wanted to get it registered.  I called my insurance company today to put the 'bird on my auto policy, and even the representative I talked to was enthusiastic about the car!  Perhaps there is a lesson here for me, perhaps God is telling me to always remain open to new relationships, and to remain optimistic even when facing the unexpected.

I'm sure that the colors will turn out fine.  It will be a beautiful car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!