Thursday, July 5, 2012

Foglights - Just for Fun!

I remember seeing kits to put foglights in the t-bird bumper guards when I was a kid.  They looked kind of cool, but rather out of place.  Without bullet centers on the bumper guards, it left me feeling that something was missing.


On a lark, I picked up a pair of cheap projector foglights.  I noticed that the contour of the lenses roughly matched the contour of the bullets in the middle of the bumper guards.  Since I had a spare, trashed set of bullets, I decided to have some fun on Uncle Packard's lathe this week and machine holes in them.  Here's how they turned out.
 These look much better than the old-style flat foglights, and are still in keeping with the original "jet engine" look of the stock bumper guards.  They look like they belong on the car, even though they are a modern technology.  A fun, yet tasteful addition!  I will take the machined bullet centers down to Chrome Guy to be plated, along with the top to the '57 air cleaner I picked up.  If the foglights don't work out, I have another pair of original bullets that have been perfectly chromed.

If all else fails, I can use these ones with holes in them on the back bumper for the exhaust pipes to go through.  They came that way from the factory, but the original hole-through bullets for my car were lost years ago.

My current plan is to do without the rear bullets while still routing the exhaust through the bumper guards...  with 4" diameter stainless exhaust tips filling the hole!  I think it will look cool, but it may look silly.  We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Rick, I am always in awe of your talent. Those foglights in the front bullets look incredible!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!