Monday, July 2, 2012

More about color... again?!

While I'm still reeling from the wonderful feeling of having, finally, a running car...
The interior color decision has reared up again!

The car goes back to Paint Guy today.  Time to check progress on the seat, which is key to finishing the interior.  I talked to Upholstery Guy this morning.  I trust him... he does a lot of vintage Porsche interiors, and they look gorgeous.  He does work for some pretty demanding owners.  I'll probably pay more with him than going elsewhere, but the seat is pretty important to get right. 

He told me today that can't use the vinyl seat cover that I got cheap on eBay.  At all.  It is the wrong size, and the extremely old vinyl won't stretch properly.  We talked about adding new leather center inserts, but that won't work, for a number of reasons. 

Bad news is that I need to pay for Upholstery Guy to make a custom cover, or buy a whole new one. 

Good news is
1) Upholstery Guy can use the eBay seat cover as a pattern,
2) I can choose any color I want... I'm not tied to "stock" seatcovers out of a catalog (which after this experience, I'm not sure I want anyway), and,
3) I might as well go with all-leather, both for comfort and durability.  The labor costs more than the materials.

So, I'm back to choosing colors.  At this point, I think I'll go with the stock interior colors, but with a '57 seat.  Peacock exterior, dark green dash/garnish rails/steering wheel, white door/kick/quarter panels, turquoise seat with white inserts, turquoise lower dash & armrests (also leather), dark green carpet.  Here's a kuler panel.  Left to right = top to bottom (exterior, dash/garnish, door, armrest/seat, carpet)
This pays homage to the original colors, but doesn't clash with the new peacock exterior... at least to my eyes.  I need to make this decision soon, so that Upholstery Guy can finish the seat.  It will cost a lot of money, and I want to get it right.  No, it's not a huge thing, and it's actually kind of fun... but I still feel the pressure.  I have to let go of my anxiousness, my desire for complete control, and just trust and move on.

1 comment:

  1. The original color palate will look really sharp with the exterior color you picked. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!