Saturday, August 18, 2012

More Waiting

Still no new paint on the car.  Paint guy found some surface rust under the weather stripping on the bottom of the passenger side door, and wants to sandblast it.
The doors were originally painted on the car, and the paint wasn't very thick.  Just a little moisture, and there was surface rust.  Luckily, the bottom of the door is very sound and didn't rust all the way through.  Paint guy is intent on doing this right.  I know that if I follow his advise, the car will turn out great.  I need to be patient.  I trust him.  I was hoping to get the car back before Labor Day, and take a week off to get it roadworthy.  That may not happen, and I need to be OK with that.

I'm worried about Dad.  He's still loosing weight.  Giving him a ride in this car shouldn't be the main reason I want to finish it, but it's certainly in the top 10!

On a lighter note, the glove box and ash tray came out ok, and match the seat & armrest color perfectly.

For fun, I polished the stainless pieces that surround the grille, and put them together for a picture.
The chrome on the grill is weak in a few places.  For $300 I could have it re-chromed, or replace it with a reproduction stainless grille.  This CTCI badge covers up one of the weak spots... I'll cover up the area above it with silver paint.
The other weak area is just right of center.  Maybe a 50-year Thunderbird badge would look good there?
 My family and I had a great time at Cruise Night yesterday.  The local T-bird club was out in force, and we enjoyed the car culture.  I'm sure this car will be worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!