Friday, August 31, 2012

So Near, and Yet...

Driving to the paint shop over lunch today, I kept telling myself to contain my excitement and control my expectations.  Yes, Paint Guy said the car would be ready today... but what if it isn't.  Can I be OK with that? Would I be really disappointed?  Can I be graceful to him, even if the car isn't done, even if there is no new paint on it?

Paint Guy didn't finish the car.  There is a good coat of primer on the car, and he's working this weekend to get the car done.

Paint Guy says he'll be done by Monday, Tuesday tops.  No matter.  I want a good paint job more than I want it done quickly.  He's had the car more than 8 weeks already, so what's a few more days?  Surprisingly, I found myself at peace with the situation, and we had a short chat.  I offered to help him over the weekend if he needs it.  I then had a good discussion with his Dad, Body Guy, who asked about my Father.  We talked about aging, cancer, and mortality... but not in a morbid way.  Body Guy was a WWII POW, and all of his wartime companions are dead.  He talks about death as someone who has persevered.

I was hoping to take next week off work, and focus on assembling my freshly-painted car.  I don't mind waiting a little longer, actually.  It is very unlikely that I can get the car road-worthy in a week, anyway.  I estimate that two solid months of weekends may be required to get this car roadworthy.  Then some testing and tweeking  before going on any serious road trip.  My extended family is having their annual get-together just after Christmas... about 450 miles away.  It would be a nice trip to take in the t-bird, if it is ready. Maybe Dad would go with me? I expect my family will probably take a second car, and we can trade off who is riding in the t-bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!