Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Emblematic

#1 son and I got the tail pipes installed earlier this week.  The mufflers are under the floorpan, directly under the seat.  The tail pipes route the exhaust from the mufflers, over the axle, past the gas tank, and up through holes in the bumper guards. 

 Having the exhaust exit through these "jet exhaust" bumper guards is one of the iconic emblems of a '55 t-bird.  It is a key part of defining its character.  By installing oversize stainless steel exhaust tips, I merely "accentuated" this feature!  I have to admit, the car sounds amazing with the tail pipes on.  The cam and exhaust work well together, and the engine seems very eager to tear up the road.  When I first fired up the engine, and the exhaust came shooting out of those sewer pipes, my son and I nearly choked with laughter!  What a riot!  It's kind of comical, but also very cool.
 Another emblem unique to the '55 among T-birds is the Y-block fender insignia.  Normally, it's placed just behind the chrome hashmarks at the break line of the front fenders.  As I mentioned before, I really don't like fake things on my cars, even if they are stylized fender vents.   As a teenager, I redrilled the fender holes and moved the Y-block emblem.  I was tempted to change the fender trim back to stock, but then I hesitated.  Maybe honoring my teen-age decision was important.  Maybe the car does look better without extra needless chrome potmetal on the fender.
I've posted pictures of this before, originally on the car and then in primer.  Here's what it looks like on the painted fenders.
Yup, there's a little orange peel on the driver's fender.  I'm confident that can be rubbed out.
Simple. Elegant.  I took the other emblems off the car, because I like the clean look.  I will keep these Y-block emblems.

The car isn't stock.  It's unique, and that uniqueness will become more obvious as I continue to put the car together.  The colors aren't stock.  The upholstery isn't stock.  The brakes aren't stock. The engine certainly isn't stock.  I'm not claiming that the car is "better", but I do feel affirmed in my decisions.  The car suits me, and it is consistent with my intention for it.  The decisions I have made are reflecting my own personality in this car, and I like what I see.  It makes me feel good about myself.

I believe that is part of God's blessing to me through this journey, and part of learning to live an intentional life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!