Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Reflections on Glory

This picture was taken by my sister, just outside the oncologist's office.  I gave him the hat.  The suspenders were his idea.
Yesterday I drove "Nell" 200 miles round trip to visit Dad, and to give him a ride to the oncologist.  I now have a sense of closure.

This is a significant personal and spiritual milestone for me... taking Dad for a ride in the Thunderbird that his Mother had owned, the same car that I struggled with as a teenager, and more recently the car that has become the symbol of my own redemption!  While it hurt me to fail in my teenage attempt at restoration, it has only recently occurred to me that that it hurt Dad, too.  If I were him, I would feel like a failure as a Father and provider, unable to support my son. 

I have been restoring this car for the last 17 months.  Thanks to help from my Son and my Uncles, I have been blessed with remarkable progress.  The car isn't done, but it is street legal and safe.

Dad's condition, on the other hand, has been in a gradual decline over the same period, and I have harbored serious doubts that this milestone would ever be accomplished.  By God's grace, we were able to take that ride together!

The weather was glorious yesterday.  I drove to Dad's by myself, getting familiar with the car, and enjoying the sound of the engine.  The break in procedure forced me to keep the speed down, but I got plenty of thumbs up and complimentary toots as folks passed.  Nell was a lady, and didn't overheat in traffic.  The speedometer cable broke en route, but I have a spare.  Overall, it was a delightful drive, and I had about 4 hours to think and absorb the reality of the situation.  That is a rare gift.

The four mile ride to the doctor's office was glorious.  My Sister and my Uncle Cord were there to listen to what the doctor had to say.  It wasn't good news, but not unexpected.  Afterwards, Dad and I got back in Nell and went off to get a bite to eat, and then I took him home.

Dad and I were both delighted to share the experience of his first ride in the restored car.   Dad kept repeating "Rick, it's just gorgeous"!  Somehow, I think he was referring to something much greater than the car.

2 comments:

  1. This is seriously impressive and I am so proud that you finally got to take your Dad for the ride you have been working 18 months to achieve. You truly are an inspiration and I can't wait to see your car in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Picture! Your car is a true family heirloom. And she looks beautiful!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!