Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ready for Another Milestone?

Dad sees the oncologist tomorrow.  The reality of his mortality seems to be weighing on him.  On the phone today, he mentioned that his trusted family doctor and friend told him that "the end of the road is coming".  This time it sunk into Dad's consciousness.

I've decided to take the day off work and drive Nell a hundred miles to Dad's apartment, then drive him to the oncologist.  He's been looking forward to a ride in this car for over a year.  He's getting frail, and he's loosing both weight and energy.

It's time to take him for a ride.  Tomorrow.  Without delay.

There may be other rides, but I'm not willing to put off this first one.  I'm also not willing to put off the critical conversations.  I want to be ready for whatever he has to tell me, and I think it's only appropriate to have that conversation in the presence of this historical vehicle that has had a significant role in both our lives.

#1 son and I spend yesterday doing our best to get the car ready for this 4-hour round trip excursion.  This included...
  • flushing the coolant system, installing a new high-flow thermostat, and refilling with distilled water & radiator treatment.  Sorry, I got so busy that I didn't take any pics. I mounted the mechanical temperature gauge sensor in the hole for the heater supply, at the front of the intake manifold.  I'll need to move it when I get around to installing the heater, but it's OK there for now.
  • removing the seat so I could work under the dash.  I then installed the refurbished clock (which runs great! yay!), and wiring up the backup lights.  I connected the backup lights to the main circuit (the one that powers the brake lights) so that they come on any time the ignition is on and the car is in reverse.  Originally, they only worked when the lights were on and the car was in reverse.  I figured that backup lights are more for letting people know you are backing up than they are for lighting up the road behind the car, so they need to work in the daytime.
  • installing & fitting the cabin insulation, jute padding, carpeting, and re-installing the seat




  • I installed the front grille trim and bumper guards, while #1 son installed the door handles and driver side hard top latch bracket.  The bracket required a lot of finesse, and some careful filing before the door would close properly.
  • I also installed the carpeting in the trunk.  It's nice to see the car gradually looking more finished.

Today my son and I went on a long shakedown ride.   Nell minded her manners... no leaks, and she didn't overheat.   The weather was spectacular, and the engine sounded marvelous! The gas gauge is a little pessimistic, and varies widely when going up or down hill.   I tend to use a stick when I really want to know the level in the tank.  There it is, under the jack in the trunk. 
 I'll adjust the gauge after I get a better feel for it.

Nell is ready for the long drive tomorrow.  She has performed reliably.  The fire extinguisher and tool bag are in the car.  Everything is set...

The real question is ... am I ready for my ride with Dad?  Am I ready for the road before us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!