Sunday, October 28, 2012

Home Again... Finally!

There she sits in my driveway, home from Uncle Packard's garage.  When she left a year ago, she was a tired, rusted hulk.  I was in a dark mood.  My mother in law had just died, after a prolonged and debilitating bout with cancer.  This car now symbolizes change and renewal.  While she still has some significant issues (like a cracked windshield, and a persistent transmission leak),  and she still needs work on the top and the interior, she is now in a condition to be enjoyed by my self and my family.

I have taken to calling the car "Nell", in memory of my Grandmother who originally owned her.  I think that Grandma would be OK with that.  It seems to ground my thoughts about the car with pleasant memories, and a sense of purpose.

During Nell's last moments at Uncle Packard's garage, we installed and aligned the front bumper, and tightened the transmission pan (it didn't stop the fluid leak).  We then positioned the side mirrors, and with some trepidation I drilled the screw holes in the freshly painted doors.  the car originally had only a driver's mirror, but I installed mirrors on both sides for safety reasons.

  #1 Son also installed the rear garnish rail and trim.  The grey blanket that I'm using as a seat cover just won't stay in place.  Once the interior is done, I won't really need the blanket any more.
 We re-filled the radiator at Uncle Packard's.  He uses heavily softened water, which is supposed to limit corrosion.  The radiator water is already brown, so I don't think it's working.  I will eventually need to flush the cooling system, and add a corrosion inhibitor.  We didn't have time to install the grille, and I seem to have lost the clips for the upper grille trim.  Still, I think she looks pretty good!  Note that we also installed the hood scoop trim.
I then drove Nell 20 or so miles to a Classic Thunderbird Club meeting.  This was her maiden voyage on a freeway, and she performed and handled like a lady!  Many folks expressed their appreciation of the car, with "thumbs up" or horn toots.  On the street, I got several encouraging comments from other drivers, and from pedestrians.
Nell in a sea of baby birds at the Classic Thunderbird Club meeting
Nell was a also a big hit at the club meeting!  Several folks were fascinated and intrigued by her story, and the long-term family connection.  Even in her unfinished state, she drew a crowd and inspired conversation.

I suspect that this is just a hint of things to come.  When I was getting tires on Friday, a man came up out of the blue and said "that's my favorite color".  This turned into a 20 minute conversation about cars, their stories, and the importance of remembering family.

This is what I think this car is all about, and why God has used it to bless me.  It's a conversation piece, a way of relating to total strangers, and a chance for me to engage folks at a deeper level by telling my story.  Telling them about my Grandma, how she survived after her husband died a war hero, leaving her to raise the family alone.  Given the right opening, I can even start to tell of my own redemption, and the deeper symbolism of Nell in my own life.

Nell has really become MY car... not so much by ownership and labor, but rather part of MY story.  A story I need to be willing to tell, any time I drive her.  A vehicle of both transportation and relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!