Sunday, October 21, 2012

Feeling the Joy

Today was another major milestone. I have wanted to drive this car since before I could drive. Tonight, with my son, I drove it on the street for the first time!

YouTube Video

The drive to the gas station was a surreal experience. I just couldn't believe it was happening. I was in for another pleasant surprise after we filled up.

YouTube Video

Earlier in the day, we pushed to get the car road worthy. #1 Son worked on installing the inside window trim and rear view mirror.


While he was doing this, I worked under the car to get the rear sway bar positioned and connected. I needed the weight of a spare tire in the trunk, so I borrowed a convenient Packard spare. I also simulated half a tank of gas using a large bucket of water.


With my son in the driver's seat, the rear of the car was suitably loaded that I could set the height of the sway bar. I wanted to finish the install so that the sway bar wouldn't rattle around driving in the street.





The sun went down while I was under the car, and we were late for dinner with my wife, but I really needed an opportunity to celebrate! My son and I climbed in the car, buckled up, and drove to the gas station. I'm still amazed that everything worked!

It has been an amazing weekend! I feel blessed beyond hope, already treasuring the memories of this weekend... Rubbing out t he car with Uncle Packard, chasing electrical gremlins with my son, and then that magnificent ride to the gas station with him!

There is something important about my past that God wants to restore. There is something good, buried deep in my early character-forming years, that I have covered and neglected. My redeemer is taking me there, reminding me of older, deeper passions. Driving this car this evening brought me back to that point, full of hope and secure in life's adventure! And I shared that moment with my son. Praise God!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!