Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sometimes, things don't go the way you planned...

Yes, that is a crack in the windshield.  It happened this afternoon, as we were installing the chrome trim. Unplanned and unfortunate, this will set me back both schedule wise and financially.  I will eventually need to disassemble the trim and replace the windshield.  From the soaring joy of driving the car for the first time last weekend, I now find myself struggling with self-motivation and meaning.

The weekend started well.  Friday afternoon #1 Son and I picked up the t-bird from paint guy, who had polished out the fenders.  We drove to Tire Guy, who aligned the front end and installed a beautiful set of wide whitewalls.

 Last night I was feeling pretty good, and felt that I might be even able to drive the car to the local classic T-bird club meeting on Sunday.

This morning, however, I felt a little out of sorts... like I was coming down with something.  #1 son and I decided to work on the t-bird anyway, but we were both a little grumpy.  I installed the rear bumper and bumper guards, while my son installed the front turn indicators.  So far, so good!
 We had to work together on the front gravel shield.  This is a fiberglass replacement part, and we had to carefully position and drill holes in the fiberglass to accept the mounting bolts.  We got the bolts in, but decided to delay installing the grille.
 I also wanted to install the upper the grille trim, but I couldn't find the mounting clips.
By this time, I was feeling pretty bad.  I was dehydrated and had a piercing headache. We decided to delay installing the front bumper.  I lied down for a short nap and my son pushed on with the windshield trim, figuring it would be a quick job.

The cracked windshield put an end to our efforts for the day.  It has also caused me to stop and reflect on what I have been doing.  My son is devistated that he struck the blow with the rubber mallet that resulted in the windshield cracking!   I, in turn, bear the burden of not being there helping and advising him when it happened! 

The windshield now bears witness to another kind of brokenness.  I need to pause and reflect on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!