Saturday, October 20, 2012

Rub them out, all of them.

Today was a good guy-bonding day.  #1 Son, Uncle Packard and I managed to finish rubbing out the t-bird.  We are very tired, but very satisfied!  We talked about cars, family, history, and politics while we sanded away hundreds of nits like this:
A tiny mote of dust got stuck in the paint when it was wet, causing this little bump
A light touch with 2000 grit sandpaper...
And the mote is gone.
 We also tackled areas of orange peel, which takes a little more persistence.  Note that the fender skirt has been installed. (#1 Son sanded the skirts)
Look closely at the reflection of the chair, and you will see how the orange peel texture distorts the reflection.
 Here's a better view of the fender skirt.  I think they really compliment the lines of this car, and will look stunning with wide whitewalls.
 This next shot shows the goal of rubbing out the paint.  The nose had some orange peel, which was particularly noticeable when looking at reflections.  Rubbing out the paint dulls the finish, but clarifies the reflection.  When this paint is polished, it will be gorgeous.
 After the rubbing was done, #1 son and I troubleshot the electrical lighting circuits, and cleaned the headlight switch.  Now the tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, headlights, and dash lights all work correctly and consistently.  We then installed seat belts and the seat (I forgot to get a shot with the seat back installed... maybe I'll get one tomorrow). 
We covered the seat with a blanket (to protect the white leather from our dirty jeans), and took the car for a short victory lap around Grandma's driveway in a light misty rain.  What a blast!

The car is now safe to drive on the road!  I plan to drive it to Costco tomorrow to fill the gas tank, then back to paint guy for polishing on Monday.

This is an amazing time for me.  The car runs, the car is attractive, and my family has gathered around me to make this happen!   I believe that God has been in the middle of this, challenging me to be open to new relationships, and continuing to delight me with this car as he reveals and heals the pain of my past.

I'm looking forward to what he has next for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!