Friday, May 2, 2014

Chrome Spats

I went to a Good Guys hotrod show last month, and ogled a lot of different cars.  There weren't very many t-birds there, but there were quite a few attractive period hot rods.  I was impressed by the quality of the workmanship and the clarity of vision that went into some of these cars.

Most of the cars had aftermarket billet or mag wheels, but a few had painted 'steelie' steel wheels with chrome hubcaps and chrome beauty rings.  Here are a couple of the more outrageous examples:


While I don't want Nell to look like that low rider Packard, I must say that I admire the look of nicely painted or powder coated steel wheels and chrome hubcaps.  What Nell seemed to be missing were the beauty rings or trim rings.  Originally, 2-seat t-birds came with either "poverty" or "dog dish" hubcaps, or the more upscale (and extra cost) full wheel "pie plate" wheel covers.  Trim rings weren't available, although a simulated wire wheel cover was available for the '55 and '56 t-birds, which fit over the "dog dish" hubcaps.  Of course, these wire wheel covers are very expensive now.  To my mind, both of these options have just too much chrome.

Original "Pie Plate" wheel covers - a thin rim of color
Original simulated wire wheel covers - no wheel color at all
I have an original set of "pie plates", but I never liked them.   My son and I fitted Nell with a set of "dog dish" hubcaps, but I admit that the result looks rather plain.  I wanted to jazz them up a little, but not overdo it on the chrome.  Inspired by the Good Guys show, I ordered an inexpensive set of narrow, smooth "Hot Rod" trim rings in chromed stainless steel.  Here's how they turned out.




I think they add just the right amount of bling, and help set off the whitewalls.  I particularly like the narrow band of color between the tire and the trim ring, and between the ring and the hubcap.  Simple, yet classy!  I've entered Nell in the first car show of the season this weekend... we will see if the judges agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!