Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Reflection: Phases of Redemption

6 May 2011 - Grandma's T-bird re-enters my life.  A vivid reminder of my past failure.  Both my Dad and my Mother in Law have serious cancer.  Mom is having difficulty recovering from radiation/chemo.  She is loosing a lot of weight.  Dad is pursuing non-traditional medicine, but his oncologist is being very supportive.
30 July 2011 - #1 Son and I pull the engine.  What a mess!  We made a few mistakes, and offend the neighbors.  Mom has moved out of our house to an assisted living facility.
Aug-Oct 2011 focus on rebuilding the engine.  I met Mr. Mechanic, who becomes and important advisor and friend.  Mom condition continues to get worse.  Dad continues to live by himself in a cluttered upstairs apartment, a 2-hour drive away.
21 October 2011 - Mom's cancer prevails, and she gracefully leaves the planet surrounded by friends and family.  My priorities shift as I meet the Body Guy that Uncle Packard has used for all his cars.  I  fear he is closing his shop soon for health reasons.  I quickly prep the car and move it to Body Guy's shop.   

Body Guy gets a heart valve replacement intravenously, and is back in the shop 3 days later.  His guys strip the car and Paint Guy (his son) paints the engine compartment.  Dad decides to pay for the paint job!  I christen the car "Nell", in memory of Grandma, and get a vanity plate.
27 December 2011 (one year ago)... Engine Light Off!  My sons get to experience the joy and the noise. Thanks, Mr. Mechanic!
17 March 2012- Paint Guy is done for the time being.  I move "Nell" to Uncle Packard's garage to refurbish the running gear and the engine.  I get to experience a closer relationship with Uncle Packard and #1 Son as we work on the car together.
31 March 2012 - Celebrating Uncle Packard's 80th Birthday, I have a chance to chat with my cousins about life, parents, aging and redemption.  And paint the frame.
16 June 2012 - After rebuilding the suspension and brakes, a gathering of men help me install the engine in Uncle Packard's garage.  This is a transcendental moment for me.  Dad has been loosing a lot of weight recently.  I am concerned.
29 June 2012 - The car moves under it's own power for the first time in 40 years.  Something inside me shouts for joy!  A week later I take the car back to Body Guy for final paint.  Dad's still loosing weight.  He looks like a bag of bones.
14 September 2012 - paint is done.  The car looks amazing!  I take it back to Uncle Packard's garage for assembly.  Dad still hasn't seen it.
20 October 2012 - Uncle Packard, #1 Son and I color sand the car over a long weekend.  Another remarkable bonding experience.  We talk a lot about Dad.
21 October 2012 - Just over a year since Mom died.  #1 Son and I take the car on it's first street drive.   The feeling is amazing!  Over the next week we take the car back to Paint Guy for an initial buff, then Uncle Packard buys a set of wide whitewalls!  I drive it home, stopping at a CTCI meeting on the way.  Dad's weight stabilizes.
6 November 2012 - I drive 100 miles and take Dad to his oncologist visit... in the t-bird... "It's Just Gorgeous"!  An amazing day, full of hope and reconciliation.  Too bad I forgot my camera.  Dad has started needing regular transfusions.
11 November 2012 Veteran's Day - #1 Son and I spend several hours driving up the coast highway on an absolutely brilliant day.  God is good!
23 December 2012 - "little things" come together to finish off the car.  Another celebration drive up the coast, and sunset at the beach.
This is a remarkable story, when set in perspective like this.  I think God is telling me that there really is something good inside me, something worth restoring, something he is willing to invest his time in.  He sees a beauty inside me that I can't see for myself.  He wants to redeem it... and he wants other people to enjoy it too!

I'll be away for a family party for the next few days.  Dad will be there, and Uncle Packard, and Uncle Cord, and siblings, and my cousins.  I'm looking forward to the fellowship, but I'm also a little anxious about the conversation.  Dad clearly isn't well, and he may not make many more of these annual parties.  I'm frankly astonished that he is making this one.  Then again, I can remember God's message of redemption.  Even if I don't feel graceful, he can use me as a vessel for his grace.  That may be an important thing to have at the party.

But, there are always other things that need to be done.  Today I started buffing the paint.  I think the rear of the car is done, or as done as I'm willing to get it.  I'll  probably finish buffing the car on Sunday, after we return from the party.  Buffing is another interesting story, but it will wait until another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!