Friday, December 21, 2012

Windows and Doors

Earlier this week, I was able to get the windows adjusted and the door panels installed.  I started by getting #1 Son to help me install the top.  The new weatherstripping required resetting the tension on all of the latches, which took longer than I expected... and I will need to trim some rubber over the windshield to get the top to fit perfectly.  The weatherstripping around the windows is cloth covered, and looks pretty nice!
 I then carefully rolled the windows up, and checked the alignment.  After a little futzing with the top stops, I was able to get a pretty good fit on the driver's side.  The stainless channel around the edge of the window glass doesn't really fit perfectly, however, and I had to glue it on with weatherstripping glue.  It may not hold, and I'll have to try something else.
 Then I did the same on the passenger's side.  This was a little harder, and required elongating some holes to get the stops adjusted properly.  Note that the top of this original window glass is a slightly different shape than the new glass in the driver's side.
With the windows working properly, I finally felt confident to install the door panels.  This was one of the easiest things I have done on this car!
The back side of the door panel has holes for wire clips
Each clip is quickly inserted into the hole with a pair of pliers
I slipped the top of the door panel under the garnish rail, aligned the clips with holes in the door, and smacked each clip in place with the palm of my hand.  I then connected and installed the window switches
This shows a nice contrast between the new body color, the new trim color on the armrest, and the original color of the metal "wedge" behind the aluminum trim.
A victory shot of the passenger's side.  I also installed the kick panel, which is even simpler than the door panel!  No clips!

Now you can see how the color of the top trim matches the dash and garnish rail, and compliments the trim color.

Here's a view of the dash... and my garage.
 With the door panels installed, the car looks and feels like it's almost finished!  It wasn't a big step, really, but it is extremely satisfying!

Yesterday I drove the car 100 miles to take Dad to the oncologist.  He had just had a transfusion, and was feeling pretty good.  I really think he appreciates riding in the car, and showing it off to his friends.

We had dinner with a very dear old friend of mine, who was best man at my wedding.  He remembered the car when I had it in high school, and was delighted to see it restored and running again.  We shared a few memories, and talked about the end of the world.  Luckily, the Mayans appear to be wrong about that.

On the way home, I stopped to visit with a new friend who is restoring his own baby thunderbird.  I heartily recommend his blog, because he is fearlessly tackling repairs that are WAY beyond my meager abilities!  I met his charming wife and was able to take him for a ride in "Nell".  We talked about t-birds, y-blocks, and how God has taught us something important about ourselves through these cars.

I'll blog more about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!