Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brake System Plumbing

Today I focused on sorting out what to do with the brake pluming in the engine compartment.  Having disc brakes in front, I really needed to use a dual master cylinder... once circuit for the front, and one for the back drums.  Disc brakes require more pressure to yield the same amount of stopping force, so I decided to use the stock power assist unit on the front brakes only.  I also realized the need for a combination valve, to keep the ratio of front to back pressure correct and avoid rear lockup during braking.  All this means that I have a lot of custom pluming work to do in the engine compartment.  I didn't finish today, I really just started laying things out, and counting the parts I need.  My hope is to have the brakes together and working by this time next week, in preparation for putting the engine in the car.  The master cylinder is much larger than the stock one, and sits very close to the battery heat shield.  This will make connections difficult, because I need to connect on the battery side, away from the hot exhaust manifold.  I will also need to fabricate a suitable heat shield for the master cylinder, since the stock one won't fit.  The power brake unit sits in its stock location ahead of the battery.
I struggled with where to put the combo valve, but found a convenient bolt on the power brake bracket.  This location is easy to get to, but I suspect that it will be too close to the exhaust.  I've heard of other people mounting the combo valve under the battery tray, or on the battery side of the heat shield.  Since I plan on using a small optima battery, there will probably be plenty of room for that arrangement.  I will need install the battery, complete with tie downs and brackets, and then mock up the arrangement to check.  I expect to be cutting and flaring a lot of brake tubing next weekend!

Here's a shot of how close the master cylinder is to the battery heat shield.  Uncle Packard proposed drilling holes in the heat shield, and routing the brake lines on the other side, next to the battery.  That might work well if the combo valve is there, too.  I don't like cutting up the "stock" battery heat shield, but it's not a particularly valuable or hard to find part, and I think this simple approach might be best.

Because the parts all come from different sources and eras, the fittings are all different.  I will be able to adapt two of the brake lines I bought, but I will need to fabricate at least three new ones.  
 I will need to change the routing of the brake lines to go behind the battery heat shield and through the power brake mounting bracket.  This should provide good shielding from the exhaust heat.

Well, my 6 days of dedicated t-bird work has come to an end.  Am I satisfied?  Well, I had certainly hoped to accomplish more  I have one more weekend before my scheduled engine install.  Will the car be ready?  It will be what it will be.  The car clearly looks better.  It has all four wheels on it.  The parking brake works, and I can roll it back and forth.  I need to celebrate that new freedom.

I plan on installing the engine on the 15th regardless.  As I think about preparing for it, dozens of "to do" items keep popping into my mind... how do I get the steering wheel painted in time?  How do I get the drive shaft painted?  How do I get the electrical system ready?  What about the fuel pump?  What about the exhaust system?  All are legitimate concerns, but I need to restate my intention.  The engine is going in on the 15th, because I need to arrange for the manpower to help me do it.  Everything surrounding the engine can be installed later, at my own pace, and that's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!