Monday, June 11, 2012

Brake System Victory!

My #1 son and I went back to Uncle Packard's garage this evening.  I picked up two new rear brake cylinders from Autozone for $20, and some more brake fluid.  Installing the rear cylinders took less than an hour.  I then tightened the rear hardline to flex line fitting... the tubing was fine, just very hard to tighten.  I tightened the elbow fittings on the master cylinder... they were pretty loose, no wonder they leaked!  Once more tightening everything, then we bled the system again and tested... no leaks!  Or, I should say, nothing obvious.  This is a completely different feeling than last night!  We went home feeling victorious.

There is a lesson here for me.  Last night, I was tired.  The leaks were disappointing, but I really needed to stop and get some rest.  I'm very glad I did.  I was glad to have the company of #1 son and Uncle Packard, even in the disappointment.

Today, the answers to fixing each of the leaks seemed obvious, and straightforward rather than daunting.  The additional cost was minimal, and we finished the job quickly.  Tonight, we all shared in the victory... bleeding the brakes is a 3 person job.

I'd like to say that praying for serenity last night and this morning made a difference, but my prayer wasn't conscious.  I just focused on acceptance, and asked for discernment.  Before I was in recovery, I would have been extremely unpleasant when faced with this kind of setback.  I probably would have made some very poor decisions in that mental state, and possibly broken something or hurt somebody's feelings.

My attitude and actions last night clearly indicate that I'm not the man I used to be.

Uncle Packard also affirmed me last night, when he told me that my father didn't ever exhibit the perseverance, judgement, and tenacity that I had shown in restoring this car!  I am not like my father.  That is a huge thing for me, and even though I love him, it is a blessing to hear.

I am at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!