Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rear Lines

Update on what happened yesterday.  Brake and fuel lines needed to be replaced.  Getting these out of the back of the car proved to be a challenge.  The lines are routed down the left side of the car, outside of the frame rail.  Both brake and fuel lines have a junction mid-frame, which is easily disconnected.  The rear brake and fuel lines are once piece... they go aft of the junction, then turn up and go over the frame just forward of the forward spring mount for the rear suspension.  These lines were installed when the body was off the car.  I don't think they are meant to be removed or re-installed with the body on the car, but I'm stubborn and will try anyway.

 The brake line then goes across the car, to the center of the frame cross piece, where it connects to a flex hose.  This hose goes down and connects to the rear brake lines on the rear axle housing.
 Getting this guy out required some minor bending, and removing the body bolt and shims above the rear spring mount.  That left a gap wide enough to slide it out
 The new brake line is roughly the same shape.  That's reassuring.  But, I can't install it until I deal with the fuel line.  The rear fuel line is much longer, and goes up and over the rear axle, then back town to the bottom of the fuel tank.  I can't get it out without cutting it, even after removing the body bolt.  Since I intend to put a fuel strainer and inline fuel pump in the line, I don't mind cutting it.  I have ordered the new fuel lines, but I won't get them until Tuesday.  By cutting the existing line on the car, I can choose the place that I want the new line to be cut... and be confident that I can install it.  I'll cut it and install a junction just forward of the spring mount.

Even after cutting the fuel line, it was quite a puzzle getting it out.  I had to use all of my 3-d reasoning skills to pull this off!  Kind of like those bent-nail puzzles you see in tourist gift shops.

 Now that the lines are out, might as well clean and paint the left frame rail.

 With the lines off and the paint drying, I rolled the car out to work on the cabin floor.  Here's my celebration shot:

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I replaced all the brake lines in my '57...what a pain. I think they designed it this way so God could teach us a lesson in patience and perseverance! The car is really coming together, especially the shot of it sitting outside the shop. I am definitely jealous!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!