Saturday, June 2, 2012

Floor and Tank

Yesterday, I stripped and painted the floor of the cabin.  There was light rust, and only a few minor rust holes, which can be filled with seam sealer.

 I brushed on red lead rust destroyer.  This will be under the floor insulation, padding, and carpet, so the color really doesn't matter.

Today,  I started fitting together key pieces in the engine compartment... the battery tray & heat shield, the plate and rubber backing that seals the steering column, the brake booster, and the new master cylinder.  
 I will need some custom brake parts to make this work.  I'll try to place an order tonight, so I might get the brakes working next weekend.
 Uncle Packard and I installed the fuel tank.  It went in fairly easily.  Surprising, for such an inexpensive fuel tank!
 The fuel filler is in the middle of the lower trunk sill.  I'll install a large rubber grommet around the neck after the car is painted.
We checked that the fuel level sender unit is accessible from the trunk.

It was a good day, but I'm feeling pressure to meet my scheduled engine install date of 15 June.  The fuel lines set me back a bit, and I was hoping to have the brakes done by now.  Only one weekend left, and I really need the brakes finished, as well as at least the basic electrical.  I wanted to paint the lower dash, so that I would only have to install the steering column once... but that may have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!