Monday, June 25, 2012

So Close...

It's good to set challenging goals.  One way we know that they are challenging is that we don't always achieve them.  My goal this weekend was to get the car running, and moving under its own power.  #1 Son and I worked pretty hard, and we accomplished a lot, but we didn't achieve my goal.  It will have to wait until next weekend.
My first task was to finish the fuel pump installation.  I have yet to wire the pump to a switch under the dash... the switch you see here was left over from running the engine on the cradle in December.
After installing the front flex line, the fuel system is complete

Then I installed the drive shaft into the transmission tailpiece.
 I remember asking Mr. Mechanic if I should paint the driveshaft.  His answer... "You don't have to, but once the rest of the car is painted, you will want to."  He was right.
And bolted the new U-joint to the differential

Installing and adjusting the throttle linkage.  As I suspected, this required a lot of fine adjustment, and some minor fabrication.


Connecting the exhaust downpipes.
Uncle Packard offered some spare fiberglass exhaust wrap to use on the downpipes, as a way of further reducing the heat in the engine compartment.  I gladly took him up on the offer!  Later, I plan on ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds... which should lower the engine compartment temperatures by about 100 degrees!
Right downpipe and muffler, viewed from the front

The mufflers are directly under the driver/passenger's knees. 
Long, convoluted tailpipes take the exhaust back, over the rear axle, and out the rear bumper guards.  This long section is suspended between the muffler and the bumper with no additional supports.  Because I don't have the bumpers on the car, I've chosen not to install the tailpipes for the time being.  The car will be a little loud, especially in the cockpit, but should run OK for now.  Pretty good work for a Saturday.

Sunday I was very hopeful, but we got a late start and had a hard deadline.  I made the time crunch worse by wasting some time dry-fitting the cabin insulation.
Placing the floor insulation in the car seemed like a good idea...  But ended up taking too much time!
I thought it would make working under the dash easier, with the car out in the sun.  It did brighten things up, but also turned the cockpit into a solar cooker!  I didn't get a whole lot done with the electrical connections under the dash.  But I do have a good list of things to disconnect!

Meanwhile, #1 son was grooming and painting the radiator.  With just a few minutes to go, we installed the fan and the radiator in the car.

#1 Son installing radiator bolts.  There were a few issues, and we were tired, but it got in OK.
With the radiator in, what's left before starting the engine?
a. Sorting out the electrical to ignition and starter (and making sure everything else is disconnected, so I don't get any short circuits).
b. Flushing the block (again), and installing the thermostat, hoses and coolant
c. Put some gas in the tank
d. Checking fluids (oil, etc.)
e. (optional) hooking up mechanical oil pressure and temperature gauges, bolting to existing holes under the dash
f. Priming the fuel system with the electric fuel pump.

My hope is that we are only a few hours away from a running car.  Once it runs, I'll feel confident taking the car back to the painter.
Celebration shot
A good weekend.  We had some minor trials, but I feel blessed.  No, I didn't achieve my goal, but everything we did was consistent with my intention.  I'll take living with integrity over accomplishment any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, and will read each one before it appears on my blog. Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement!